Saturday, April 9, 2011

Worst case scenario

It's Saturday morning and I am woken at 6:45. Grinwell had made a 24-hr trop down from Zimbabwe to visit the family and pick up some much needed literature. I knew none of this until he was at our doorstep and Dad woke me with a, "we need... printed before... So you better..." slightly incomprehensible at that hour. I brewed some "imported" Dunkin Donuts coffee, diced a fresh mango, organized my masters and got to printing. It turned out to be a highly profitable morning as I rushed to print several different projects for him. The morning was so long that D#6, J#7 and I even made a coke-bottle birdfeeder that now hangs from the mulberry tree.

Mid-morning Derek got the ladder, stood on the ladder, pulled of molding in the hallway and showered the recently swept hallway with termite goodness. Grains of dirt were being deposited in a corner for some time but I had already unscrewed the breaker box panel, swept it all out and thought with those residing termites gone, our problem was fixed. Nope. With all that molding off, and the bare asbestos ceiling leaving a gaping section before joining the wall, part of the termites' abode was discovered. Our landlord was shocked, the exterminators were called and now we sit here and wait, squishing wandering termites and hoping they won't chew up the piano too.

It dipped to 64F this morning and I have 5 months ahead of me in which I mustn't wear out my 4 casual sweatshirts. This is fall, people and yes, with such a drop in temperatures, I did wear a sweatshirt. Yes, I did have hot chocolate. Yes, we did bring in wood and start the firplace. The flannel sheets are coming.

Tonight the cousin, D#4, J#5 and I sat in the living room finishing a conversation started earlier on the guillotine. Lydia said it was more humane than the firing squad, the boys disagreed, and I pled the fifth. Such weird conversations take place here. This one ended in much laughter with, "If you were on the moon with another astronaut and only one of you could get back to earth, would you push him off the moon?"

Oh dear.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the same ol' Wilhite family I remember. Good times!!!!

    ~ Janell

    ReplyDelete