Saturday, January 8, 2011

Cooking African Style

Visitation in the village followed by a good, home-cooked African meal - can't rightly beat that for a Saturday morning.  While the others went through the village of Dikgale, I stayed with Mrs. Matete to help with the lunch preparations.

I still do not know how the African women do it, but a minute after stepping into a smoke-filled kitchen, my eyes are watering beyond use.  Dear Ruth put a chair inside for me to sit on while cutting up the veggies... though the chair seemed to scoot closer and closer to the kitchen door the longer I was in there.  Ruth noticed my obvious happy bawling and brought me tissue paper, which kept me company the whole 2 hours.  As I sat there chopping onions in a super smoky room, I closed my eyes... the onions turned out less than evenly chopped, but I finished the job! :)

Mrs. Matete and I mostly communicated in Sotho, Afrikaans and when neither of those worked, we used sign language. :)  If you find a good three-legged pot, here's a fine African gravy for you to try!

3 onions, chopped
1 can baked beans
1/2 pack minestrone soup mix
5 potatoes, diced
3 tomatoes, grated (yes, grated)
1 cup water
salt to taste

Serve with mealie pap, chicken and coke.






5 comments:

  1. Thank you for showing me more of South Africa, and glimpses into your daily life.

    I am so terrible at keeping in touch, so it is nice that I can read your blog and you can read mine and we can stay in contact that way.

    Keep up the good bloggy work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just so in love with your photography! You do absolutely amazing work! I enjoy your writing as well; thanks for the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful.

    I love the 2nd picture the best. The bright fire and the white meal/flour(?) bring such a nice contrast to the darker colors around it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful reminders of my past life in Africa :-) I think I used to help more with washing laundry than cooking... overall it's a good experience! Thank the Lord every day for those opportunities to serve Him and others.

    Love you,
    Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should post more. Africa sounds so interesting and I love the pictures.
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete